red - Viene di seguito proposto un test, elaborato dalla prof.ssa Annamaria Boasso, utile nelle classi in cui sono attivi dei percorsi CLIL di Scienze Naturali in lingua inglese.
1) Complete the following sentences with the missing informations
1. Gregor Mendel was an Austrian ____________ , _______________ , often called the “father of ____________”
2. Mendel kept a small garden and experimented growing ______ plants.
3. He chose pea plants because they were _________ to grow.
4. He collected data for ____________.
5. He tabulated results from _________ pea plants.
6. He replicated his experiments and analyzed his data with _____________.
7. Peas take little place and are easy to ________________.
8. Peas have some distinct _______________ that are easy to recognize.
9. Mendel worked out the __________ of _____________ before anything had been discovered about DNA, genes and chromosomes.
10. The importance of Mendel’s work was not _____________ until after his death.
2) Explain the difference between heterozygous and homozygous.
3) Draw a Punnett square to show a heterozygous cross and write down the possible genotypes and phenotypes.
4) Match the names to the correct definitions:
7) INHERITED FACTORS
a. The character that was seen in F1
b. The genetic makeup of an individual
c. An individual that has two different forms of gene
d. The characteristics of an individual
e. The character that was not seen in F1
f. An individual that has two identical genes
g. The study of inheritance
h. Characteristics that could be passed from one generation to the next.
5) Say whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F).
a. The principle of segregation states that paired factors (genes) separate and form haploid gametes. T F
b. An AA individual produces two kinds of gametes A and a. T F
c. A heterozygote is an individual that has two different forms of gene. T F
d. The letter “a” is used for dominant genes. T F
e. P1 is the first generation of a genetic cross. T F
f. The genetic makeup of an individual is called phenotype. T F
g. A Punnett square is a diagram used to show all the combinations in a genetic cross. T F
h. A heterozygote is not hybrid. T F
i. Homozygote refers to an individual that has two identical genes: AA or aa. T F
l. Mendel discovered genes and chromosomes. T F
6) Read the test and answer the following questions:
Gregor Mendel was an Austrian and Augustinian priest and scientist often called the “father of genetics” for his study of the inheritance of traits in pea plants. He was inspired by both his professors of university and his colleagues at the monastery to study variations in plants, and he concluded his study in the monastery’s garden. Mendel showed that the inheritance of traits follows particular laws, which were later named after him. His experiments brought forth two generalizations which later became known as Mendel’s Laws of Inheritance. The significance of Mendel’s work was not recognized until the turn of the 20th century. Its rediscovery prompted the foundation of genetics.
1) How was Mendel called?
2) What did Mendel study?
3) What did Mendel show?
4) Who was Mendel inspired by?
5) How did the experiments of Mendel become known?
6) When was Mendel’s work recognized?
7) What did Mendel’s work rediscovery prompt?